National Technology Day is celebrated every year on May 11 to commemorate the history of India’s technological innovations and excellence. Since 1999, May 11 is celebrated as National Technology Day to mark India’s technological advancements. National Technology Day is really a day that every Indian should look back and be proud about. India has achieved a lot since it’s independence, especially in the field of science and technology. Here are a few things you need to know about this day.
1. On 11 May 1998, Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) was initiated with the detonation of one fusion and two fission bombs. Two days later, on May 13, 1998, two more nuclear bombs were tested, after which then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee declared India a full fledged nuclear state. This operation was called ‘Operation Shakti’ and it made India the 6th country to join the nuclear club.
2. May 11, 1998 was also the day on which the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) completed the final test-fire of the Trishul missile after which it was inducted into service by the Indian Army and Indian Airforce. A short-range, quick-reaction, surface-to-air (SAM) missile, Trishul was a part of India’s Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme – a Ministry of Defence initiative that has resulted in the creation of the Agni, Prithvi, and Akash missile systems.
3. Hansa 3, India’s first indigenous aircraft was first tested on the same day in 1998 in Bangalore. Hansa 3 was the first of its kind two-seater general aviation plane used for flight training and personal flying.
4. Every year, on this day, the Technology Development Board of India, awards experts and contributors in the Science and technology field with national awards to express their gratitude for their developments.
This is to motivate more and more people to contribute in this area which holds maximum credits in bringing development and changes in any country.
5. This year’s theme for National Technology Day celebrations in New Delhi is ‘Technology Enablers of Startup India’.
India has been making developments in the field of Science and Technology for the last couple of decades. It has been growing in all areas of science and technology- agricultural science, architecture, medicines, natural sciences, etc.
All these advancements need acknowledgement and appreciation from the nation. And to celebrate the wonderful developments in the field of technology, India celebrates National Technology Day on 11th of May every year.